During Bloggiesta, I spent some time working through some ideas for the kind of post I really wanted to write. Why was I trying to fit what I wanted to say into someone else’s mold? So starting today, every Friday I’m going to post a recap of books I’ve read, am reading, and plan to read, as well as any other tidbits I feel like sharing. The format was inspired by Small Review’s Recap posts and On a Book Bender and 25 Hour Books’ Clock Rewinders on a Book Binge posts.
This week on the blog:
- Bloggiesta – March 2013
- Top Ten Tuesday – Books I Recommend the Most
- Review: The Passage by Justin Cronin
- GracelingÂ (Graceling Realm #1) by Kristin Cashore
- Solid start, but lost me in the endless mountain climbing.
- City of Lost SoulsÂ (The Mortal Instruments #4)Â by Cassandra ClareÂ
- Though I mocked myself for reading this silliness, I tore through it like it was a bag of cinnamon bears.
- DarkfeverÂ (Darkfever #1)Â by Karen Marie MoningÂ
- Mac is the opposite type of character I expected from this type of series. Like a non-annoying Sookie Stackhouse.
- Etiquette & EspionageÂ (Finishing School #1)Â by Gail CarrigerÂ
- CinderÂ (Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer
- ScarletÂ (Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer
- I had an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my account, so I finally caved and bought 3 books from my wishlist. I initially read Cinder from the library, and definitely needed to own a copy, as well as the sequel.
- In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler’s BerlinÂ by Erik Larson
- Erik Larson truly impressed me with The Devil in the White CityÂ (which if you haven’t read, is a must, and is getting a movie version starring Leonardo DiCaprio) and I have been meaning to give this one a try.
Placed on hold:
- Cross My Heart and Hope to SpyÂ (Gallagher Girls #2) by Ally Carter
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop TalkingÂ by Susan Cain
- Live From New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night LiveÂ by Tom Shales and James Andrew Miller
- The TwelveÂ (The Passage #2) by Justin Cronin
Donated to Books for Africa:Â
- Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon
- Blood MagicÂ by Tessa Gratton
- Graceling by Kristin Cashore
- The Dark Glamour (666 Park Avenue #2) by Gabriella Pierce
- 25 old ARCs and freebies that I will never read. It felt so good to get them out of the house!
- Downton Abbey, Season 1
- I realize I’m the last person alive who doesn’t watch this show religiously, but I finally got on board. LOVE. Except for O’Brien. HATE.
- College basketball
- I am typically anti-basketball (So many points! Only the last 3 minutes really count! Fouls are considered offensive strategy! It is a game that frustrates me.) but I am a sucker for bracketology and become very pro-basketball during March Madness. (My brackets suck.)
- Awkward, On Demand
- Season 3 premieres April 16th!
- Game of Thrones and Doctor Who premieres this weekend
- AAAUAUAUAUAAUUAAUGGGGHGGHHHHHHHHH *breath* *breath* AAAAUUUUAAUAUAUUGGHGGHHHHHHH!!!!
- Justin Timberlake, The 20/20 Experience
- With the Soldier Field 10 Mile race looming in 8 short weeks, I purchased the Hal Higdon 10 Mile plan through Training Peaks to hopefully help me get my training act together.
- Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s Shakespeare Showdown
- Fill out a bracket of your favorite Shakespeare characters and vote on Chicago Shakes’ Facebook page starting April 1st for a chance to win free tickets or swag. With all of my Bball brackets, how could I resist? My money’s on Puck to take it all.